Our optional app versioning system is designed to allow you to alert your end-users if a more recent version of your app exists, regardless of whether or not they are also notified by proprietary app store systems.
App Version Set-Up
If you want to make use of our API's versioning system you should follow these first steps:
- Create a Version ID in your Dashboard for your app.
- Include this exact Version ID as a variable in your app's code.
- Each time you release a new version of your app, repeat steps 1 and 2.
If your app is available to your end-users via proprietary app stores, it is recommended that you make sure your new version is available on these app stores before adding it. Otherwise, end-users will be alerted to the availability of new versions before they become available.
Your app can compare your end-user's app version with the most recent version you have added to your Dashboard using one of two methods:
- Use the License Get request. This is convenient if you already use this request when your app initiates, and perhaps the best time to alert your end-users.
- Use the dedicated App Version Check request. This is more appropriate for when you want your end-users to be able to decide to check for new versions, for example by pressing a button.
When you create a Version ID for an app in your Dashboard, you have the option to associate comments with that version. Since these comments are returned by both of the above API calls, it is a good place to highlight why your end-users should be interested in updating their app to the latest version.